Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Tzatziki - Weekend Herb Blogging


For this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging, I’m using the delicate and feathery, dill. Dill, like parsley, is a member of the carrot family. The leaves are used as an herb and the seed is used as a spice. The larger stems are often tough and woody but they can be saved and tossed into a soup for a light flavoring. Dill is used with salmon, soups, vegetables, and rice all over Europe and Asia. It is also one of the main components in Tzatziki sauce.

Tzatziki is a very popular Greek sauce and appetizer. The word is derived from the Turkish word for “chutney.” It is a mixture of strained yogurt, or Greek-style yogurt, cucumbers, seasoned with olive oil, garlic, vinegar or lemon juice, and herbs. The sauce is traditionally served with pita bread as an appetizer and is the condiment of choice for gyros. I used this with some Greek meatballs.

Tzatziki Sauce
16 oz. Greek style yogurt*
1 cucumber, washed and peeled
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 to 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp salt

*Greek style yogurt is much thicker and richer than normal yogurt. If you can’t get a hold of it you can make your own. Place some plain yogurt in a cheesecloth, tie up the edges and hang it over a bowl or place the cheesecloth in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge for a few hours.

Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a small spoon. Then coarsely grate the cucumber.

Gather the grated cucumber in a cheesecloth or paper towel and squeeze out the excess water, otherwise the tzatziki will be too runny.

Mix the grated cucumber with everything else.


This week’s WHB is hosted by Pat of Up A Creek Without A Patl.

8 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

This is so funny because I was just reading the Greek meatball recipe in my feed reader, thinking how good it sounded and scrolling down, and there's the WHB logo! I love seeing a recipe for this. I used to buy the big containers of it at Costco (love it on salmon) but they are so big I can't ever use it all. Sounds wonderful.

Amy said...

Kalyn,
Ooh tzatziki on salmon sounds yummy! I need to get more pita bread for my extra tzatziki. I can't imagine how big the Costco containers are.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I've never had this sauce, Amy, but by the ingredients I'm sure I would love it!

Amy said...

Patricia,
This was the first time I made it. I was surprised it was very simple to make. :)

PatL said...

Thanks for contributing to WHB, Amy, and for getting your entry in early! Tzatziki on gyros ... mmmm! Will have to try it on salmon too. Thanks!

Amy said...

Patl,
Thanks for hosting on such a hectic weekend! :) I'll have to try it on salmon too like Kalyn suggested.

Unknown said...

Search for Fage Greek yogurt, available at any Whole Foods. Tzatziki also works with the Total 0% version (no-fat!) too.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, I told my own blog readers to head over here for it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin