Sunday, May 27, 2007

Nutella Stuffed Brioche French Toast

Nutella French Toast

I look forward to a stale brioche as much as a fresh-from-the-oven loaf. In fact, I specifically set aside a portion of my last brioche and eagerly waited for it to dry out. Why? Because stale brioche makes the absolute best French toast and bread pudding. The day had finally arrived, and I was gathering ingredients for French toast when I spotted the jar of Nutella sitting innocently on the pantry shelf. “Eureka!” I knew I wouldn't be making any French toast but Nutella stuffed French toast! A luscious layer of Nutella is sandwiched between two slices of brioche, then the whole thing was to be dipped in French toast batter, fried in butter, and finished with a dusting of powdered sugar. It sounded so divine the prospect of making it led me to hum and prance excitedly around the kitchen. And the taste? Well, brioche and Nutella were made for each other. It made my heart flutter with happiness (or was that my heart struggling to pump after all that artery clogging goodness?), it was no doubt the best French toast I have ever had with a crisp exterior and a soft, custard like interior.

This will be my entry for Leftover Tuesdays hosted by Foodie Project

Nutella French Toast

Notes:
- The batter recipe will also work for regular French toast, just cut the brioche slices 3/4-in thick instead of 3/8in thick.
- I kept the flavorings to a minimum because the brioche was already scented with lavender but if you're using a plain brioche, you can try variations such as adding cinnamon, nutmeg, or swap the vanilla extract with almond extract

Nutella Stuffed Brioche French Toast
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated

1 egg
3/4 C milk
3 Tbsp AP flour
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (and more for frying)
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Half loaf of brioche; cut into 8 3/8-in slices
Nutella, a few tablespoons
Powdered sugar for serving

Whisk the egg, milk, melted butter, flour, sugar, salt, and vanilla together until a smooth, thin batter is formed.

Spread some Nutella on half of the brioche slices and then top with a second slice of brioche, forming 4 Nutella brioche sandwiches about 3/4-in thick.

Add a tablespoon of butter to a nonstick skillet over medium heat.

To ensure even soaking of the bread, pour only half of the batter into a flat dish and soak both sides of 2 brioche pieces. You may not use up all of the batter but this way you don’t oversoak the first two bread pieces, leaving you with not enough batter for the second two pieces.

Once you have soaked the first two slices, remove and start frying them. Pour the remaining half of the batter into the dish and soak the next two pieces of bread.

Fry the French toasts until crisp and brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on the first side, flip then fry the second side until crisp and brown also, another minute or so.

Serve with powdered sugar.

~~~

Brioche French Toast

1 egg
3/4 C milk
3 Tbsp AP flour
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted (and more for frying)
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Half loaf of brioche; cut into 4 3/4-in slices

Variations: Add cinnamon, nutmeg, or swap almond extract for vanilla extract


Whisk the egg, milk, melted butter, flour, sugar, salt, and vanilla together until a smooth, thin batter is formed.

Add a tablespoon of butter to a nonstick skillet over medium heat.

To ensure even soaking of the bread, pour only half of the batter into a flat dish and soak both sides of 2 brioche pieces. You may not use up all of the batter but this way you don’t oversoak the first two bread pieces, leaving you with not enough batter for the second two pieces.

Once you have soaked the first two slices, remove and start frying them. Pour the remaining half of the batter into the dish and soak the next two pieces of bread.

Fry the French toasts until crisp and brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on the first side, flip then fry the second side until crisp and brown also, another minute or so.

Serve with powdered sugar.

19 comments:

Gattina Cheung said...

save the last bite, I'm coming now!!!

Laura said...

Keep this away from my daughter or I think she'll overdose on pure happiness!

Bettina said...

oh my gosh, i'm salivating like none other. haha. that looks SOOOOOO good...ahhh! i want to be home now!! and i still need to try nutella! beautiful picture! :D

Anonymous said...

Wow - how gorgeous is this?!? I love the idea of french toast stuffed with nutella - and then to make it from brioche... well, be still my heart!

Anonymous said...

yum! When will the next batch be ready? Great Leftover Tuesdays entry!

Helene said...

Gorgeous! That had to be the ultimate decadence!

Anonymous said...

If I have to base my judgment on this recipe and the lemon-strawberry bars, I think we are going to get along famously hahaha Welcome to the Daring Bakers! :)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I knew you were going to make this when you posted your brioche recipe. Knew it! B/c I would totally do that too. :)

Glenna said...

Oh yum--that looks incredible!

Cheryl said...

Welcome to the DB club. The minute I opened your blog, I went "Oh, I'm going to like her".

I have never had nutella. This looks incredible.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Amy! This is superb - I'm here, all alone waiting for my lunch to be delivered... I'd change my pasta dish for this brioche sandwich in no time. ;)

Amy said...

Gattina,
I'll save one just for you. :)

Laura,
Hehe it's very easy to overdose on happiness with Nutella... yum...

Bettina,
You can try some when you come back for the summer. A spoon and a jar of Nutella is all you need.

Gilly,
Aw thanks! :) Brioche and nutella are two of my favorite things.

Foodie Pam,
Thanks!

Helen,
Thank you! It was indeed very rich and creamy. :D

Marce,
Thank you for such a warm welcome. I fell in love with your palmiers.

WC,
Hehe you knew before me! We're definitely still thinking alike. ;D

Glenna,
Thanks! :)

Cheryl,
Aw that's so sweet! Definitely try Nutella sometime, it's the creamy stuff that's in the center of the Ferrero Rocher chocolates.

Patricia,
We should swap because I'm having a pasta craving right now hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I want to make this right now, it looks amazing! Thank you, I now have my weekend planned!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

An excuse to have Nutella for breakfast - hooray!

Amy said...

Clover,
Thanks! Sounds like a good weekend breakfast.

Lynn,
Can never have too much Nutella.

sensiblecooking said...

i love Nutella just on simple toast. OMG on french toast what could be better. Thanks for the recipe. My weekend breakfast. I am off to the store to get my Nutella.

Starshine Ellie said...

Heaven on a fork!

sensiblecooking said...

Whole new dimension to the french toast combining best of whole world. Dessert in breakfast i loved it.

cody said...

This was a very satisfying recipe! I loved it! recette de cuisine/ french cooking is the best!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin