Friday, May 25, 2007

Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

I’ve heard that “true” buffalo wings only have 3 ingredients: chicken wings, butter/margarine, and Frank’s Hot Sauce. Well this recipe has more than 3 ingredients but I’m still going to call them buffalo drumsticks because honestly, I don’t know what else I can call them. The drumsticks are first baked in the oven then finished under the broiler to crisp up the skin. Before serving, they are coated with more Frank’s hot sauce for extra finger-lickin’ goodness. They may look spicy, but Frank's is fairly mild so you may wish to add some Tabasco too if you like things extra spicy.

Another way to bake these drumsticks is to cook them entirely under the broiler, 10 minutes a side on the middle rack. Keeping the chicken on the middle rack prevents them from browning too quickly but if the skin is getting too dark before the chicken is fully cooked, turn the temperature down (350ºF or so) so the insides can catch up and finish cooking. This method cuts the cooking time significantly but I haven’t tried it yet. It’s how Elise made her Spicy Chicken Drumsticks so I’m sure this method works well. You can also grill these drumsticks over medium high heat.

Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

6 chicken drumsticks
6 Tbsp Frank’s Original Hot Sauce (and some more for coating the drumsticks later)
2 tsp Tabasco (and more to taste)
2 tsp brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp smoked paprika (I love the smokey flavor this gives)

Mix all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a bowl and pour the marinade over the chicken. Marinate for a few hours to overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF, adjust the oven racks to the middle and top position. Add the chicken to a broiler safe pan, pour the remaining marinade over the chicken, and bake on the middle rack for 35 - 40 minutes. Then move the pan up to the top rack, turn on the broiler (500ºF), and broil until the skin is crisp, about 5 minutes for the first side. Then flip the drumstick over, and broil for another 5 minutes. Drumsticks can range in size so check to see if they're cooked through (no pink).

Coat the chicken with more Frank's (and Tabasco if preferred) before serving. I skipped the butter because drumsticks have more fat than chicken wings.

Serve with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks

13 comments:

Rasa Malaysia said...

This is new...buffalo chicken drumsticks...hehe...I wonder why the restaurants/bars only serve buffalo wings...they should feed us drumsticks, too. :)

Bettina said...

drumsticks are so much better than wings!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I gotta have the wings. Drumsticks just aren't the same. I used the Vnese Sriracha hot sauce though. :)

Gattina Cheung said...

anything spicy and saucey will be my friend :) Great party food for this holiday!

Amy said...

Rasa Malaysia,
I like drumsticks as a meal but wings are a good snack :D

Bettina,
Yeah sometimes I want something more substantial.

WC,
Wings are still good :P but drumsticks are bigger lol. Mmm sriracha sounds good too.

Gattina,
You're right these would be really good on the grill for Memorial Day!

Anonymous said...

I did not know drumsticks has more fat than wings :O

I'm with you - I prefer wings as snacks, unless I'm cooking the wings chinese-style eg ginger and soy sauce. :)

Cheryl said...

This is the picture that made me fall instantly in love with your blog. Look at that drumstick with that sauce on it. I am drooling.

Patricia Scarpin said...

These drumsticks look deliciously covered in sauce, Amy!

Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Tigerfish,
Since drumsticks are dark meat, I think they have more fat, but then again wings have some skin so they have a bit of fat too.

Cheryl,
Aw I'm so flattered! :) I have to admit seeing that picture makes me hungry too (especially now when I'm at work).

Patricia,
Hehe thanks! I really liked the extra sauce on the drumsticks.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm hmmmm good!!!

Anonymous said...

hello Amy, may i know where can i buy Frank's Hot Sauce? Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I get Frank's Hot Sauce at King Soopers. And Walmart! Delicious recipe, thanks so much!

Food Junkie said...

Nice recipe. I love the flavour of Buffalo wings but Frank's has just the barest whiff of heat. The idea of adding some Tobasco is good because it's more neutral falvour won't overpower the Frank's. And of course for those wanting more there are lots of sauces or even pepper extract that can be used. You just have to pick one that complements Franks. Sriracha might be nice as Wandering Chopsticks uses but it can no longer be considered Buffalo. Buffalo has to have Franks or perhaps a Louisiana sauce in a pinch.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin