Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I'm a night owl. It is officially Thanksgiving as of an hour ago, which marks the start of the holiday season and my favorite time of year. Now it's perfectly acceptable for me to eat a little more than I should, indulge in buttery baked goods, and most importantly, listen to Christmas music.

 I have been spending Thanksgiving with Steven's parents for many years now. We usually alternate between doing a turkey or prime rib for our main event. In the past, Steven has mentioned more than once that turkey is dry and bland so naturally I didn't think he'd mind that his mom and I were talking about forgoing the turkey entirely and doing something like rack of lamb and duck confit. To my surprise, Steven specifically requested turkey this year. I later discover this is only because I told him about a Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen version (link to recipe and episode) that involves roasting a salt-pork covered, self-basting turkey.

In addition what is essentially a bacon covered turkey, I made my holiday tradition twice baked potatoes and pumpkin creme brulee. For now, it's bedtime and in 8 hours, we will make the (30 minute) drive down to his parents house while listening to Michael Buble's Christmas album.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Love My Boys! said...

I love that I found your blog. I love finding new cooking ideas. I recently started blogging and adding recipes that I come across that are delicious! So feel free to check it out!
http://completingourfamily4.blogspot.com/

Dana

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin