Tuesday, July 21, 2009

German Pancake/Dutch Baby with Apricot and Raspberry

German Pancake
Steven and I bought a half flat of the biggest raspberries we'd ever seen from our local berry stand. We're lucky enough to live blocks away from the only Seattle location of the Spooner Farms berry stand. One more reason why I love our neighborhood. Raspberry season is coming to a close in Washington state and they will eventually be replaced by blueberries and blackberries. If you live in the North Seattle area or close to any of the other locations, I recommend you check out Spooner Farms and stock up on these amazing raspberries while you still can.

Spooner Berry Farm RaspberriesBetween the car ride home and breakfast, we polished off one half pint. Any suggestions for what I should do with the remaining 5 half pints?

Steven and I aren’t big breakfast people but when I do make breakfast, I go all out. Bacon and eggs usually make an appearance, sometimes I do waffles, sometimes pancakes, and sometimes I get crazy and put everything together. The German pancake, also called Dutch Baby, is like a crepe crossed with a popover. It's ridiculously easy to make (the batter is made in under 2 minutes in a blender) and is always a crowd pleaser. Watching the pancake puff up before your very eyes is always entertaining. You can add fresh fruit to the batter, add it on top after baking ,or go crazy and do both! Then you have the option of topping it with the more traditional squeeze of fresh lemon juice and powdered sugar or simply drizzle on the maple syrup, for the syrup lovers.

If you're using a cast iron skillet, you'll need to preheat it longer than a cake pan. Put the skillet into the oven before turning it on and let it preheat in the oven for a good 20 minutes. This will give you enough time to make some coffee, get your ingredients together, and set up the blender.

German Pancake

German Pancake with Raspberries and Apricot
3 eggs
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 C milk
3 Tbsp butter
Optional: 1 apricot sliced up and 1/3 C raspberries

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and put a cast iron skillet (if using) into the oven to heat up.

After about 15 - 20 minutes (or longer if your oven is slow), the skillet should be hot. Add the butter to the skillet and return it to the oven. If you're using a cake pan, add the butter to the cake pan and put it into the oven.

Add 3 eggs and the sugar to blender and blend on low speed for 1 minutes. The eggs should be light colored and bubbly. Then add the flour and milk and blend for 10 seconds, until evenly mixed.

Take the skillet or cake pan out of the oven and make sure the butter has completely melted. Pour the batter into the hot skillet or pan and scatter the fruit on top of the batter if using.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 18 - 22 minutes, or until the sides and middle have puffed up and browned.

Serve with fresh fruit and a lemon slice and powdered sugar or maple syrup.

17 comments:

Dewi said...

Such a luxurious breakfast to have. I wouldn't mind to have this everyday...
Look really delish!

Engineer Baker said...

I've never made a german pancake, but I'm thinking this weekend might be a good time... Lots of fresh berries and a lazy Sunday morning!

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I try to make dutch babies once a week. No better breakfast! Yours with the ultra-fresh fruit looks fantastic.

Cheers,

*Heather*

veron said...

Oh my now you have spoiled breakfast for me tomorrow...no actually it looks pretty good for dinner! Those raspberries look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

there is a summer sweet raspberry lemonade on simply recipes that looks delicious, and of course, raspberry sorbet~~or how about raspberry jam?~~your breakfast looks delicious!!!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

Oh this looks delicious!

I also have a few things that can never survive a car trip. Dark chocolate coated wild figs have to be transported in the boot (trunk) of my car otherwise they'd never make it home.

Katrina said...

Wow, that box of berries does look delicious and huge!

maisan said...

good food! my first time leaving message!!!

Anonymous said...

Last time I made a Dutch Baby it really stuck to the cast iron skillet. I'll have to really heat it up next time. Thanks for the tip!

sensiblecooking said...

Just the picture was enough to make me want that recipe and that was what i did over the weekend. It's going to be weekend trend in my house.

Julia said...

This looks fantastic, Amy! Now that I have some spare time on the weekends, I'll have to give it a whirl. Now if I could only find a skillet.....

Amy said...

hkydiva,
Make sure you heat up the skillet and make sure the butter is hot before you pour in the batter. That should help with the sticking.

Julia,
Don't forget you can use a cake pan.

Becca Wong said...

Wow! This looks AMAZING! <3 I just found out that I have a skillet! I'm so going to try this :)

Unknown said...

weird... i wonder why the picture wasnt showing.
-Jack @ Salt lake city catering

Ashley said...

This looks beyond amazing! Lovely post! :)

Sara said...

I made this for a Christmas brunch & it quickly became my favorite brunch item! I am a busy person & this was right up my alley as it is so easy & delicious! The great thing about this; it is beyond the normal breakfast & brunch foods (pancakes, eggs, bacon, french toast, rinse & repeat!). You have a wonderful blog & I look forward to following you.

Heather Christo said...

This is great! I just posted a recipe for Dutch Baby recently- it's a real childhood throwback for me! I have never considered adding fruit to it. Great idea!!

I am a Seattle girl too, check out my food loving, part throwing blog, heatherchristo.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin