Sunday, September 16, 2007

Buttermilk Pancakes

Buttermilk Pancakes

During the week I don't eat breakfast. I know I know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! I actually really love breakfast and breakfast foods but when I'm unpleasantly jolted awake by the alarm at a time when I simply can't function, I'm just not hungry. If I force myself to eat something, I end up feeling queasy so it's better for me if I go without it. What I love most about weekends is being able to enjoy my mornings; I can sleep in, wake up naturally, and have a leisurely start to my day. Best of all, I can make a proper breakfast, like a tall stack of pancakes with a generous pat of butter on top (which slid off the stack and melted before I could get a photo), and plenty of real maple syrup. Oh and let's not forget the bacon.

Notes:
- This recipe will serve 2 - 3 but can easily be doubled to feed a bigger crowd.
- If you do not have buttermilk, you can substitute clabbered milk. Mix one cup of milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice and let stand for 5 minutes at room temperature. The resulting batter will be a little thinner.

Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated

1 C AP flour
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 C buttermilk
1/4 C milk, + more if batter is too thick
1 egg
1 1/2 tbsp melted butter and cooled

Add the dry ingredient to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg and butter, then add the buttermilk and milk.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, do not overmix.

Meanwhile, heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Take a stick of butter and lightly butter the cooking surface. Pour about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until the surface of the batter starts to bubble and the bottoms are brown, about 2 - 3 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side for another 1 to 2 minutes. Reapply the butter between every other batch.


Variation: Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Additional ingredients: 1/2 C fresh blueberries (if using frozen, make sure to rinse and dry them)

Follow the recipe above. After pouring the batter onto the griddle or skillet, scatter about a tablespoon blueberries on the surface of each pancake. This prevents the berries from getting smashed during the mixing process. Continue cooking per recipe instructions.

This will also work with other berries.

8 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Just add a little fruit on top or inside some wonderful, tender pancakes and I would be in breakfast heaven. We limit pancake consumption to weekends as well..but they freeze well for another day if there any left!

Andreea said...

so delicious. i see blurberries, and a good coffee. (oh and i don't eat breakfast during the week either - but the weekend, such a pleasure!)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I often use dry buttermilk to make pancakes, to eliminate that leftover bit of buttermilk you always have when you buy a quart. With the dry, you add it to the dry ingredients, and add the equivalent amount of water with the wet ingredients. It works really well.

Anonymous said...

How on earth could you refrain from eating those delicious pancakes long enough to take pictures?

Amy said...

Valli,
Fruit or chocolate chips would be delicious additions.

Andreea,
Weekend breakfasts are always something to look forward to. :)

Lydia,
That's a great tip! I always have to try really hard to use up my buttermilk but its fabulous in baked goods.

Lynn,
I don't know... Oh believe me I was starving! But I tucked in after a few shots.

Anonymous said...

yum this has my mouth water. I have not had pancakes in way too long.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I just tried them this morning up at the cottage and they were great. Not too sweet with only a 1/2 tsp of sugar. I added fresh bluberries right in the mix instead of on top and then instead of using maple syrup on top, I used fresh bluberry preserves. Perfect amount for two people.

Anonymous said...

I just made your pancake recipe this morning at the cottage for my boyfriend and I. They were not too sweet which was nice with only 1/2 tsp of sugar. To keep them on the not-overly sweet side, I used fresh blueberry preserves onto instead of syrup and threw the blueberries right in the mix. Perfect amount for two people.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin