Thursday, September 20, 2007

Miso Fish

Miso Fish

While slogging through the blog clog, I found so many recipes from weeks or months ago that never made it onto the blog. This is either because the photo just was not post-worthy or I had neglected to write down the recipe as I was cooking and forgotten the exact quantities of the ingredients. As for this recipe, I'm going to be honest, none of the shots that I took were flattering. Nevertheless, I love this miso fish recipe. It's simple, it's quick, and most importantly it's delicious. In fact it is one of my oldest recipes, dating back to when I first started to cook.

Notes:
- The ratio is 1 tablespoon of miso and and 1 tablespoon of wine for each 4 oz. fillet. You can use 2 tablespoons of each if your fillets are really large.
- I find that my skillet will fit 3 fillets at once, so this recipe is made for 3 servings.
- No salt is called for in the recipe because of the miso. Feel free to add pepper if you'd like
- I most often use tilapia but you can substitute another white fish
- I usually use Shao Hsing rice wine but mirin will also work. The finished product will be a little sweeter

Miso Fish

3 fillets of white fish (around 4 oz.)
3 Tbsp of miso (white)
3 Tbsp of rice wine
1/4 C flour
Vegetable oil

Mix the rice wine and miso together to form a paste. Add the fillets into a zipper lock bag and add the miso mixture on top of the fillets. Close the bag and try to rub the miso mix on both side of each fillet. Marinate in the fridge for 4 hours to overnight. I usually do this in the morning before I leave for work and then I am able to fix it up for dinner.

Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Lightly dredge each fillet in some flour. Panfry the fish until both sides have an evenly browned crust, about 3 minutes per side. If your fillets are on the thick side, cook the fillets over medium heat so they can cook through without the crusts burning.

Serve with steamed white rice.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. For me, sometimes I have to find time to blog my cooking. It's hard to blog when my 1 year old is up to every mischevious thing a 1 year old can think of. Recently I just lost 4 blog post of worthy pics :( to my pc. Anyway, you fish looks very good. :)

Kalyn Denny said...

The fish looks just delicious! And I don't think that photo looks bad at all! You should see some of my bad photos, sometimes they are really quite horrible. There is a lot to coordinate to get a good food post on a blog isn't there?

Mandy said...

this is one of my favorite way to cook fish too. But I always just estimate the proportion of things.;p

Anonymous said...

You know..I have the same problem. There are a number of old posts that never got a chance to show up in my blog coz I forgot the exact quantities. I usually don't measure when I cook, that makes it even more difficult coz I can only rely on memory. Maybe I will just post photos? Those dishes which have no nice photos or no recipes- I guess they will never show up unless I cook them again.

I can sandwich this in my bread as a quick bite.

Unknown said...

mmmmm, is this what you used for the black cod that one time? cuz it was super yummy! mmmm...

Helene said...

That fillet looks delicious! I have never fixed fish with miso so I am glad you posted thiss as it gives me somethig new to try. Thank you!

Dolores said...

I don't know... if the mark of good food photography is the "I want to eat that" factor, I think you have a success here. It's going on *my* menu next week. :)

test it comm said...

Miso marinade is one of my favorites. It is really simple and tasty.

Amy said...

Pamela,
Oh no! PCs can be so mean sometimes! Your little one sounds adorable. :)

Kalyn,
Aw thank you! Some of my old photos were really awful too. Eek! Food blogging is a lot of work!

Mandy,
I estimate a lot too. :P

Tigerfish,
Definitely, sometimes it's hard to measure stuff when you cook. Just a little bit of this and that.

Bettina,
Nah the black cod was Nobu's recipe, which is a little bit different.

Helen,
I hope you like this recipe!

Dolores,
Thank you! Let me know how you like it. :)

Kevin,
I agree, miso marinades are delicious!

Wendy said...

LOVE the photo. The fish looks so wonderfully crispy. :-p

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I made misoyaki salmon a while back and can't remember the ingredients either. Sigh. Blog clog is right.

Term Papers said...

As for this recipe, you are going to be honest, none of the shots that you took were flattering.well its recipe is easy to make.


Term papers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin