Friday, February 1, 2008

Buffalo Wings

Buffalo Wings

I am not the biggest fan of football but Super Bowl Sunday is almost like a national holiday so I can't let it go unmentioned. Did you know it's the second largest food consumption day of the year? (The first being Thanksgiving of course) So today and tomorrow, I'll be posting some Super Bowl favorites because even though I may not enjoy watching the game, I sure love the food that comes with it. And no sports party is complete without the required buffalo wings.

First created in Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY, hence the name, authentic wings are deep fried then covered with a sauce made with butter/margarine and hot sauce. It's generally agreed that Frank's Red Hot is the most authentic sauce to use but stay away from the Frank's bottled buffalo sauce since that kind has weird margarine mixed in. The ratio of hot sauce to butter you use depends on how hot you want your wings. I like my wings pretty hot so I like to use a 2:1 ratio of Frank's to butter with a shakes of Tabasco. I chose to lightly flour then pan fry the wings slowly over moderate heat, the same method I used for the salt and pepper chicken wings. Purists will say that without the deep fryer, these can no longer be called buffalo wings but this method yields a nice crispy skin and uses much less fat.

Buffalo Wings

2 lbs. chicken wings, wingtips removed, cut into wingettes and drumettes
1/4 C flour
Frank's Red Hot Original (to taste; I used 4 Tbsp)
Melted butter (to taste; I used 2 Tbsp)

Serve with
Celery sticks and Blue Cheese Dressing

Lightly dredge the wings with some flour.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the wings and cook them slowly over medium heat until they are cooked through and golden brown on all sides. Turn them frequently in order to brown them on all sides and prop them next to each other so they don't roll around. Cook them until the juices run clear and the internal temperature is 180 degrees F, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Alternatively you can sear the wings over medium high heat and finish them in then oven (350 for roughly 15 minutes).

Meanwhile, melt your butter and mix in the Frank's hot sauce. It's really a matter of taste so play around with how you like your sauce.

After the wings are cooked, put them in a bowl and toss them with the toss. Serve immediately with celery sticks and blue cheese dressing.


For something more substantial try Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

Come back tomorrow for Super Bowl Chili.

15 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Now that is good TV food. And it does not have to be Football to enjoy these. Amy they look great!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I love Buffalo wings, with or without the Super Bowl. Your photo is amazing -- I'm hungry just looking at it!

Finla said...

I am not a fan of any kind of sports.
But the wings that is a totally different story.
FOr these wings i will be your biggest fan :-)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That's a great suggestion to reduce the fat. Also a lot less work than deep-frying a whole batch of wings.

Anonymous said...

Your two most recent posts are my two weaknesses! Buffalo wings and lemon meringue pie (I love that it was last month's daring baker challenge!) and you did a great job on both of them!

דורית said...

I love buffalp wings - and the link to the drumsticks!! The drumsticks are definately my next recipe to be made...thanks

test it comm said...

Those buffalo wings look really good. I don't eat chicken wings very often but now I am really craving them...

Terri said...

These look awesome!!! Your photo's are amazing.

Terri
www.burningkitchen.blogspot.com

ShellyH said...

Nothing like Superbowl Sunday and eating some buffalo wings!!! Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Being from upstate NY, buffalo hot wings are NOT, i repeat because this is important, NOT to be dredged with flour.

JEP said...

Even as a vegetarian, I appreciate this amazing photo:)

Amy said...

Meeta,
So true, wings are all around good and fun to eat, albeit a little messy but that makes them all the more fun. ;)

Lydia,
I totally agree, I'll take wings with or without the Super Bowl.

Happy Cook,
Haha I'm not a fan of many sports either (been hit in the head too many times with various sports balls in junior high PE) but I sure love sports party foods.

WC,
That's true! My skillet can fit a surprising amount of wings.

Hillary,
Aw thanks so much!

Prettybaker,
Hope you like them!

Kevin,
Thanks!

Terri C,
Thank you!

Shelly,
Yup! Gotta love Super Bowl food!

Anonymous,
Yes I know that real buffalo wings are not dredged in flour and are deep fried. But dredging them in flour helps get a nice crispy exterior when I pan fry. They are not REAL buffalo wings.

Jep,
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

As a kid, I almost took the Cheektawaga title for my age group.
I'd hate to admit how many wings I actually consumed, but lets just say my mouth was numb for some time after.

These look picture perfect!

Bettina said...

my mouth is watering....

Monica said...

One of the things I miss most about not living in the States anymore is, believe it or not, Buffalo Wings! When I visit I always buy a bottle or two of Sauce to bring back for a taste of home.
YUM!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin