Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day 4: Butterscotch Cookies

Butterscotch Hazelnut Cookies
It's time for another chewy drop cookie and this time it's made with a butterscotch flavored dough using lots of vanilla and brown sugar and then adding butterscotch chips paired with some toasted hazelnuts. The hazelnuts are optional since I know not everyone is nuts (sorry I couldn't resist) about nuts. Anyhoo, back to the cookie. I'm a big fan of big bakery cookies so this recipe should make about 12 - 16 large cookies. Oh and don't forget the glass of milk!


Chewy Butterscotch Cookies with Hazelnuts
Inspired by Cook's Illustrated Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 1/8 C AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 C packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted and cooled
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 C butterscotch morsels
1/2 C hazelnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)

Before you start: toast the hazelnuts if using.
Toast the hazelnuts at 350 degrees F until the skin turns dark brown and starting to separate from the nut and the nut underneath is looking light brown, about 10 minutes. Pour the hazelnuts onto a clean kitchen towel and cover them up with the towel to let them steam for 2 - 3 minutes. Come back in a few minutes, and rub the skins off the hazelnuts while still in the towel. Not all of the skin will come off, but you can try rubbing them with your fingers if they don't come off in the towel. Roughly chop for the recipe and go shake out the towel outside so the papery skins don't fly everywhere in the kitchen.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In a bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and yolk with the brown sugar, then add the melted and cooled butter and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the butterscotch chips and chopped hazelnuts if using.

Using a large spoon or ice cream/cookie scoop, scoop 1/4 C of dough and lightly flatten the balls of dough, spacing them about 2 - 3 inches apart.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 15 - 18 minutes but start checking them at 13 minutes. The edges should have hardened and cooked but the center should still be a little underdone.

Makes about 16 cookies.


Day 1: White Chocolate Cashew Macadamia Butter Cookies
Day 2: Shortbread Bars with Mango Jam
Day 3: Pumpkin Butter Thumbprints

9 comments:

Bettina said...

mmmm hazelnut adds a delightful taste! great combination!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

It sounds like an awful lot of deliciousness packed into one cookie. Count me in for the nuts, please!

Gattina Cheung said...

Amy, I'm with you... total nuts :) :) Every of your cookie recipe is divine, you need help? I mean eating, hehee.

Patricia Scarpin said...

With so many delicious ingredients, Amy, these are certainly delicious!

Deborah said...

I love butterscotch - I bet these are delicious!!

Aimée said...

I am loving all these cookies! we just did a big cookie swap with over 1200 cookies. Check out my blog for photos and recipes.

Amy said...

Bettina,
I should use hazelnuts more I really like their flavor.

Lynn,
I love butterscotch chips. I bet these would be tasty with pecans, a more southern combo. :)

Gattina,
Aw so sweet. :) You're always welcome for cookies.

Patricia,
Aw thank you!

Deborah,
Same, I love butterscotch.

Aimee,
Oh my gosh! 1200 cookies?! Wow!

SteamyKitchen said...

oooohhh..I'm making these!

Unknown said...

Made these just now! They taste great, though I forgot to flatten them a bit before putting them in the oven, so they turned out thicker than I expected. Also, they're a bit cakey...but still very good! Delivering them to an injured friend soon =)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin