Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Basil and Mushrooms

Spaghetti Carbonara with Basil and Mushrooms

The once tiny basil plant on the back porch is now very large and bushy so I'm always looking for ways to incorporate basil into recipes so I can keep up with the plant. This variation of Spaghetti alla Carbonara incorporates basil and sauteed mushrooms with the classic recipe. Carbonara is Steven's favorite meal and in the end he preferred the original version of just bacon, eggs, and cheese instead of this one. However, I found the flavors very enjoyable and a little change is nice sometimes.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Basil and Mushrooms

4 oz thick sliced bacon, chopped
4 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 eggs
1/2 C grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper, generous amount but to taste
8 oz spaghetti
A handful of basil leaves, torn into small pieces or chiffonade

Heat a skillet over medium heat to render the bacon. Once the bacon is crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl. Bring a pot of water to a boil.

Pour out all of the rendered fat of the skillet reserving about 1 - 2 tsp of sauteing the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms until they are brown and all the liquid has evaporated. Add the mushrooms to the bacon and set aside. As the mushrooms are cooking, start boiling your pasta.

As the spaghetti cooks, beat the eggs, parmesan, and pepper together in a bowl. The sauce must be prepared before the pasta is done cooking.

When the pasta is al dente, quickly drain but reserve some of the pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed. Immediately return the pasta to the pot (off heat) and pour the egg mixture over the pasta, add the bacon and mushrooms, and quickly stir into the pasta. The residual heat from the pasta and pot will cook the eggs and thicken it into a sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce has thickened and evenly coats the pasta. Work quickly otherwise the eggs will scramble rather than temper into a smooth and creamy sauce. If the sauce is too thick add a bit of the pasta water to loosen it. Serve immediately and add more freshly ground pepper if you'd like. I like mine really peppery.

Serves 2.

I'm going to submit this recipe for Ruth's Presto Pasta Night.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMM!! *bookmarks*

Anh said...

Like you, I think adding basil gives a refreshing touch for this dish. Look very good.

Brilynn said...

I love that photo, I feel like it's jumping right off the page at me.

Wendy said...

Ah, my partner will love you for this post. He adores carbonara so much I am fed up making it for him. Feeling inspired by your recipe though!

Anonymous said...

I thought the creamy mushrooms would be a nice change for carbonara too! Hmmm...but guys are usually different from girls :P
With this dish, you made me a little tempted for carbonara (since I'm no a fan of cream-based pasta and always prefer tomato-based)

Mandy said...

Amy,
Nice photo! Carbonara is one of my all-time favorite! Wish I could I have a bite from your plate ;p

Srivalli said...

the photo looks very good...am sure it tasted good too..

Srivalli
www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Mushrooms are an unusual addition but why not?! It's always fun to mix and match in the kitchen.

Amy said...

Thank you so much everyone for all your wonderful comments. They always brighten my day!

Anonymous said...

Carbonara is one of my other half favourite dishes. I have to try out your recipe for a change from our usual carbonara. :)

Jenny Massey said...

I saw the post on carbonara and was scared to look behind the cut. So often I'm disappointed when I look at carbonara recipes and find they add cream or *ALFREDO* sauce. *GASP*

I should have known better. I'll give this one a whirl!

Thank you

Amy said...

Cooking Ninja,
Let me know how you like it!

Jenny,
I too dislike the recipes that call for copious amounts of cream, the dish is rich enough. Let me know how you like it!

vaneea said...

I tried this recipe just now.
It was delicious! I added some Indonesian chili sauce into it and it taste even better!

amber {daisy chain} said...

oooh YUM! I secretly love carbonara (who doesn't love creamy pasta?) and this looks like a healthy version!

Ruth Daniels said...

It looks fantastic. I am absolutely drooling and it's only 8am. Thanks so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This gentle twist on Carbonara is certainly "droolworthy". Can't wait to try it!!!

Anonymous said...

this looks fantastic, i'm definitely giving it a try.

Poonam said...

this looks terrific!

Amy said...

Vaneea,
I'm so happy you liked it!

Amber,
No excessive butter or cream in this version! :)

Ruth,
Thank you! I love pasta so this is the perfect event for me.

Valli,
Let me know how you like it!

Abby,
Thanks! Let me know how it goes!

Poonam,
Thanks!

Madeline said...

I made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic! I was sure I was going to scramble the eggs but they turned into a beautiful creamy sauce. Thanks for such a great recipe.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin