Friday, June 12, 2009

Raspberry Lemon Cream Tart

Raspberry Lemon Cream TartWhoops! Only had 2 minutes to take pics and forgot to take the tart out of the pan.

Short and sweet recipe post today! I still had some cream cheese leftover from the wedding and the giant 3 pound Costco tub was taking up valuable fridge space. I was trying to do something with it but couldn't manage to use all of it. Then I made way too much filling for one tart shell so now not only is the gargantuan tub still sitting in the fridge, but I also have a container of whipped filling taking up even more room. Crap! Now I'll have to think of something else to use up the whipped filling but honestly I'll probably just end up eating it with some fresh fruit.

Too bad I didn't get a photo of the sliced tart because the hidden layer of raspberry jam is a nice surprise-an idea I took from Dorie Greenspan's Hidden Berry Cheesecake. Speaking of which, I bet this recipe would work just as well with blackberry jam and fresh blackberries.

Raspberry and Lemon Cream Tart
1 Prebaked Sweet Tart Crust
2 oz. cream cheese
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 C heavy cream or whipping cream
1/4 C lemon curd
1/4 C raspberry jam, preferably seedless
1 C fresh raspberries

I scaled the recipe down to make enough filling for one tart. Depending on the sweetness of your lemon curd, you may want to use less sugar. I was using store-bought lemon curd (Trader Joe's makes a good one) and it's very sweet so I used 2 tablespoons of sugar. Homemade lemon curd is more tangy so you may need to use 3 tablespoons of sugar.

With a whisk attachment, using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium high speed until fluffy. Slowly drizzle in the whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold in the lemon curd.

Spread the raspberry jam on the bottom of the baked tart shell. Then add the lemon cream cheese mixture. Top with raspberries and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.

Prebaked Flaky Pate Sucree
for an 8 or 9 inch pan

1 C flour
1/3 C confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp cold milk or ice water
1/2 tsp of vanilla

Add the flour, confectioner's sugar, and salt together in a food processor and pulse once or twice to combined. Add the pieces of butter and pulse until the butter pieces are no bigger than a pea. Alternatively use a fork or pastry cutter to cut in the butter, or freeze the butter and coarsely grate it then use your fingers and rub the pieces into the flour. It is very important to keep the butter cold otherwise it will melt and make the crust greasy and you'll lose all the flaky layers.

Mix the egg yolk, milk, and vanilla together. Drizzle the mixture over the butter and flour mix in the food processor. Pulse again until the dough start to form large clumps. If it looks too dry add a little more milk.

Scrape the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and press the clumps together to form a disc. Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and chill at least an hour up to overnight. Or store it in the freezer for as long as you want.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin and roll out the dough to into a large circle. Move the crust around often to make sure it doesn't stick to your work surface.

Transfer the dough to an 8 or 9 inch tart pan. To make this easier, drape the dough over the rolling pin and lay it over the pan. Lift the edges of the crust and gently press the dough down into the pan. Roll over the top of the pan with a rolling pin to trim any overhanging dough.

Prick the surface of the dough with a fork. Press a sheet of aluminum foil onto a crust and add pie weights, beans, or clean pennies on top. I like using pennies because they are the best heat conductor. Bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and baking weights (be careful the weights will be very hot!) and return the crust to the oven to bake for another 10 or so minutes until it is golden. Cool to room temperature before filling



14 comments:

oneordinaryday said...

I like the photo just fine w/ the tart pan. Looks just lovely.

Heidi said...

Oooh! That looks yummy! I love cream cheese with whipped cream. I know what dessert I'm making next :)

Dewi said...

Such a delicious post to read on Saturday morning. Yum!

catK said...

what a beautiful tart! i love the combo of raspberries & lemon!

Katie said...

Sounds wonderful and a lovely combination

Anh said...

Wow! You have done a great job catering for the wedding. Then this tart. And all of this right after your exam? Superwoman!! :D

Patsyk said...

The tart looks gorgeous in the pan! You've got me wanting to dig mine out and make one for my family now.

Trish said...

Yum....pan and all!

Heidi said...

Raspberry & lemon...what a perfect combination! Your raspberries look so perfect.

I notice you have a section for Seattle food blogs. Please take a moment to check out my new baking blog (I'm in Seattle). It's only a couple of month old so there is not a whole lot on there but stay tuned!

heidibakes.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Heidi Namba

Payton Confections said...

If you have a bunch of cream cheese I suggest that you make a cheesecake and you can top it with the whipped topping.

Amy said...

oneordinaryday,
Thanks! Next time, I'll keep some tarts in the pans. :)

Heidi,
I love how cream cheese stabilizes the whipped cream and gives it a little more flavor.

Elra,
Thank you!

CatK,
It's wonderful combo. Blueberries and lemon is another one of my favorites.

Katie,
Thanks!

Anh,
I'm flattered! I'm also very relieved it's over. :)

Patsyk,
Tart or no tart I bet your family will love whatever you make.

Trish,
Be careful, the tart may have some sharp edges. ;)

Heidi,
Your blog looks great, keep up the good work!

Payton,
I wish I had enough cream cheese for a cheesecake. I used up the last few spoonfuls today. Thanks for the suggestion though. A cheesecake + this whipped topping sounds divine.

Red Jasmine said...

even with the pan on, your raspberry lemon cream tart looks yummy. thanks for the post.

sensiblecooking said...

I made the recipe yesterday it turned out great. As I didn't have fresh raspberry handy I substituted it with strawberry jam and fresh strawberry. It was tasty will make it soon again once I get raspberries.

Unknown said...

Looks great - can't wait to try it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin