Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chicken and Basil Stir Fry

Chicken and Basil Stir Fry

I never understood why so many people like white meat over dark meat. White meat is so bland and boring and ridiculously easy to overcook. Dark meat on the other hand, is succulent and flavorful, nearly impossible to overcook, and actually tastes like chicken. Oh well, to each his own! It works out better for us dark meat lovers anyway because thighs and drumsticks are always cheaper than breasts. But no worries, this stir fry is delicious no matter what kind of chicken you like. Just be more careful about the chicken drying out if you're using a breast or tenderloin cut.

I'm trying to post more student-friendly, easy/quick to cook recipes. Do you guys think a recipe like this would qualify? The ingredient list isn't terribly long and most of them aren't hard to come by. Prep and cook time was maybe 30 minutes?


Chicken and Pepper Stir Fry with Basil

1 pound chicken thighs or breast sliced into strips or slivers
1 large red bell pepper sliced
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
1 - 3 Thai red chilies, seeds removed and thinly sliced or sub some jalapenos(to taste)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 C fresh whole basil leaves (sweet or Thai varieties are both okay)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil for stir frying
Fresh lime juice (optional)

*Note: if you use a rice cooker, start cooking your rice first.

In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar.

Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the shallots. Cook the shallots until they are translucent and soft, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium high and add the chicken, bell peppers, grated ginger, minced garlic, ground pepper, and sliced chilies. Continue to stir fry until the chicken is nearly cooked through, about 2 minutes, then add the sauce. Cook for another minute and the sauce will thicken. Add more soy sauce or salt if you need to. Stir in the fresh basil at the end. Squeeze a little lime juice on top if you have some limes on hand. Serve over steamed rice.

9 comments:

abc said...

Looks yummy, I'm going to try it.

Glad you are doing more Asian-ish recipes, haha.

Michelle C said...

I'm a fan of dark meat in both chicken AND turkey!

I'm glad you posted something with fresh ginger, too. I picked some up recently and have been looking for recipes to use it with :)

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love this dish! It definitely looks like a quick, easy and delicious weeknight meal. I'm with you on the chicken issue. Give me thighs every time. I've never liked chicken breast much.

Dewi said...

What a delicious dish you have here, I always like Aisan style cooking.
Cheers,
elra

Jon said...

I like the breasts because they're easier to cut :) Cutting the meat off the thigh is so much work!

Jen Da Purse Ho said...

i don't understand the white meat love either. too dry!! dark meat is so tasty and juicy!!

thanks for this! i must make it tomorrow. :)

melainer said...

i think this recipe looks great but I'm not sure about it being good for students. It requires ingredients that most students won't have around or know what to do with the leftovers.

Anonymous said...

Like you I'm a dark meat person..but so is my husband so we have to share when we buy whole chickens!

I've had trouble finding thai red chilies near me so I'd have to sub jalapenos. Shouldn't be to hard for someone with a small kitchen to make.

Amy said...

It's great to see so many dark meat lovers! :)

Ken,
I'll try to post more Asian recipes.

Jon,
Some stores sell boneless skinless chicken thighs. I think I saw some at TJ's.

Melanie,
Thanks for the input. You're right, fish sauce isn't exactly a common ingredient. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin