Monday, March 10, 2008

Tomatoes and Eggs Stir Fry: Fan Qie Chao Dan

Tomatoes and Egg Stir Fry
I didn't have much of an appetite when I was very young and always had trouble eating. In one of my earliest memories, I was sitting on my uncle’s shoulders on the way home from kindergarten and I proudly told him of my accomplishment that day, that I had finished every last bit of my lunch. Of course my uncle asked me what the school served that day and I enthusiastically told him, “fan qie chao dan (tomatoes and eggs)!” Now, sixteen years later, some things have changed; now I always have quite the appetite but this dish still remains one of my favorites.

For the 8th and final dish of this impromptu Chinese Cooking 100 1/2 series I originally planned to make a dessert but instead, I want to introduce everyone to this relatively unknown but very traditional Chinese dish. You’ll rarely see this dish on the menu at restaurants but scrambled eggs and tomatoes is classic Chinese home cooking and comfort food. Whenever I’m sick and don't feel like eating, this is the dish I make for myself: 1 tomato, 2 eggs, and a bowl of rice. Not only does it bring back fond memories of my childhood but tomatoes and eggs are nutrient powerhouses and the meal provides me with vitamins, proteins, carbs, and most importantly, comfort, everything I need to feel better.

Notes:
- If you’re using smaller roma tomatoes use 1 egg for 1 tomato but if you’re using medium sized tomatoes, use 3 eggs for every 2 tomatoes. If you have really big honking tomatoes, use 2 eggs for 1 tomato.
- I would not recommend using beefsteak tomatoes because they are just too tasteless and mealy and will make the dish too watery. Even though it’s not prime tomato season, I was able to find some pretty decent organic tomatoes on the vine for this dish.

Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes: Fan Qie Chao Dan

4 tomatoes (see note about tomato to egg ratio)
6 eggs
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Salt
White pepper
Vegtable oil

Cut the tomatoes into 1 inch chunks and set them in a colander to drain.

Beat the eggs in a small bowl.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet or wok over high heat. Shake the colander or hit it against the side of the sink to get rid of any excess liquid. Once the pan is very hot and the oil is shimmering, add the thinly sliced green onion and the tomatoes. You should hear a loud sizzle. Season with salt and white pepper, and cook them very briefly, only about 30 seconds. You want the tomatoes to retain their shape, you don’t want tomato sauce. Don’t stir them too violently or you’ll break them up. After about 30 seconds in the pan, transfer the tomatoes to a bowl and set aside.

Add a tablespoon of oil to the wok or skillet again and heat over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the beaten eggs. Some liquid should have accumulated in the bowl of the stir fried tomatoes so add that liquid to the eggs. Season the eggs with a little salt. Quickly scramble the eggs until it is almost cooked but still runny, then add the tomatoes and stir fry until the eggs are cooked. Serve with rice.

11 comments:

Passionate Eater said...

Ooo, fan qie tsao dan is my FAVORITE too! I also cook it like you with the full eggs, but the beau makes it almost like egg drop soup, mixing the egg up into a thick gravy and cooking it with slices of beef.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Stir-fried tomatoes? I will definitely have to try this -- I love making scrambled eggs in my wok.

Mari said...

Just wanted to drop by and say that I've really enjoyed your Chinese Cooking 100 1/2 series.

soopling said...

I always add a bit of sugar to mine too, especially when the tomatoes are sub-par.

Love your site by the way!

Julie said...

Simple and delicious, looks fabulous.

Amy said...

PE,
Yay! I didn't know it was your fav too! I was afraid people would think I'm weird for liking tomatoes and eggs. :P Your beau's version sounds similiar to a tomato and egg soup I make. Adding beef sounds tasty!


Lydia,
Tomatoes taste really good after a quick stir fry, I think there's something about the hot oil and pan that brings more of their umami flavor out.

Mari,
Aw thank you! I'm so glad!

Soopling,
I do the same too! A little bit of sugar definitely helps when tomatoes are not at their prime. Thank you!

Rasa Malaysia said...

I love this dish...it's always good, and I just love tomatoes.

jasmine said...

I totally agree! This is one of my go-to comfort foods too.

Bunny said...

this is my FAVORITE dish in china! yummm

♥ 蕃茄 ♥ said...

I was looking for this traditional dish for quite some time and I found yours. Thank you so much for posting it, I was told this was an easy dish but to make it taste good, it requires some skills... so I thank you!

Anonymous said...

I ran across your awesome blog after a search for XLB (can't believe I haven't seen it before). Love the recipes of your Chinese cooking 100 1/2 series, the traditional dishes like cai fan and this tomato and egg stir fry remind me of my Dad's kitchen growing up. I want to recreate those dishes but can't read Chinese. So thank you for doing this!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin