Monday, August 27, 2007

Chicken Parmesan

Chicken Parmesan

Crunchy chicken, gooey spotty brown cheese, pasta and tomato sauce with basil plucked fresh off the plant, how can you go wrong? It's been a while since I've made Chicken Parmesan and I had forgotten how easy and quick it was to make. The whole meal took less than 30 minutes and drew raves from Steven, my most scrutinizing critic. It was absolutely delicious over a hearty plate of spaghetti but I imagine it would make a fantastic sandwich too.

Note:
- For the chicken cutlets, you can either take 2 large chicken breasts and slice them in half horizontally for 2 thin cutlets that require no pounding, or take 4 small chicken breasts and pound them evenly. Before pounding the chicken, remove the tenderloins since they tend to fall off very easily during pounding or cooking. You can reserve these tenderloins for chicken stir fry.

Chicken Parmesan (Parmigiana)
4 chicken cutlets (see note)
Salt and pepper
3 Tbsp flour
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 C panko bread crumbs
3/4 C coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
16 oz. pasta (Spaghetti or Linguini)

Quick Tomato Sauce
2 - 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 Tbsp olive oil
28 oz. diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes crushed
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp dried Italian herb mix
1/4 tsp sugar
1/2 C basil leaves (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Making the Sauce: Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and add the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds to a minute. Add the tomatoes, dried herbs, sugar, black pepper and simmer until the sauce thickens. Salt to taste. Keep warm and set aside.

Begin boiling water for the pasta. Meanwhile, beat the egg, and prepare two trays for the flour and the panko bread crumbs.

Salt and pepper the chicken cutlets. Lightly dredge them in flour, patting off the excess, then dip into the beaten egg, then press and coat both sides with panko. Set aside until all cutlets are breaded.

Preheat broiler (I used my toaster oven). Add your pasta and some salt to the boiling water. Cook the chicken while the pasta is boiling.

Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Pan fry the chicken cutlets until both sides are golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes per side.

Transfer the chicken cutlets onto a tray lined with a wire rack. Mix the mozzarella and Parmesan together and cover each cutlet with some cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and spotty brown.

Meanwhile drain the pasta when it is finished. Roughly chop or tear the basil leaves and stir them into the sauce. Transfer the pasta and chicken to plates and spoon the sauce on top.


15 comments:

Deborah said...

I haven't had chicken parmesan in a long time! This looks great - I will have to put this on the menu.

Mandy said...

the shot looks like one from the food magazine!

SteamyKitchen said...

If there was one thing that my husband craves for ...it is this and lasagne. good thing he's not here...he'd want your dish and not the pork chops I made!

test it comm said...

The photo looks great. Chicken parmesan is one of my favorites.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Goodness, I don't think I've had chicken parm in 20 years, but your photo reminds me of how good it is!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

How can Steven be critical of your cooking? It's always fabulous!

Anh said...

I haven;t had this for the longest time... You remind me to make some soon!

Wendy said...

It's only 8am but i could sooooo eat this right now. Fantastic picture.

Anonymous said...

love chicken parm, I feel like eating one right now. Yours look so tempting over that pasta!

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering! Delicious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love this recipe, Amy - I haven't made chicken parmesan in months and I'm carving it right now!

Amy said...

Deborah,
I really need to make this more, it's so tasty and quick!

Mandy,
Aw I'm so flattered! Thank you!

Jaden,
I'm sure he loved your pork chops! I know I would. :D

Kevin,
Thank you! Steven requests that it be a regular dish now. :)

Lydia,
Wow 20 years!

WC,
Aw thanks! You're so sweet! He gives good constructive criticism since he's a very discerning eater. ;)

Anh,
I really love this dish; I can't believe it's been years since I've last made it.

Wendy,
Thank you!

Veron,
Thanks! Pasta is always such a satisfying dinner.

Ivonne,
Thanks!

Patricia,
There's always so much to cook, and before you know it, it's been months or years since you've last made something. :D

Anonymous said...

I just made this for dinner. It was delicious. However, I burned the cheese...oops! This is the first time I've had chicken Parmesan. I think next time I'll use some wet mozzarella cheese since I'd like it to be more gooey. Great sauce by the way!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to use whole milk mozzerella... It tends to keep the chicken moist while broiling. The low-fat stuff wil not help the chicken to keep it's moistness..... Just a thoughtful recommendation!

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

This sounds really yummy..I am sure gonna make it this weekend!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin