Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Pork Picadillo Empanadas

Pork Picadillo Empanadas

Originally I wanted to bake something for Meeta's birthday, then the plan switched to making ricotta pancakes; the idea being a "virtual" birthday breakfast. I used an Everyday Food recipe and while they had the right idea, the recipe was seriously lacking. I definitely couldn't share a dish I wasn't proud of for Meeta's event so I wanted to make something else. Since the Monthly Mingle is a party theme, I finally went with some savory empanadas for an snack/appetizer. Happy Birthday Meeta, I hope you had a great day. :)

Pork Picadillo EmpanadasNotes:
- I'm not really sure what the baking powder did, made the crust lighter I suppose. Next time I will omit it and see what happens.
- Some recipes didn't call for baking powder but used vinegar instead. I'm not sure what that would do, maybe make the crust tender also?
- I didn't really figure out how to crimp the edges of the empanada, like Deb, her's are so gorgeous. Maybe next time I'll figure it out.
- I think I may not have rolled out the dough thin enough. If you roll out the wrappers to 1/8-in thick I suspect you may be able to get more empanadas out of the recipe.

Pork Picadillo Empanadas
Filling
About 2 C pork picadillo

Dough
Adapted from Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World

1 3/4 C flour
1/4 C finely ground cornmeal (original recipe called for masa harina which I didn't have)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 tbsp butter, cold
3 – 5 tbsp milk
Egg wash: 1 egg lightly beaten

Mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Using a food processor, pastry blender, or two forks, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal and the butter pieces are no bigger than a pea.

In the center of the dry ingredients, make a well and pour in the beaten egg and 3 tbsp of milk. Bring the dough together, if it is too dry and resists, add some more milk.

Turn the mixture onto a work surface and gently knead (only enough to bring it together, don't overwork the dough) and bring the dough into a cohesive mass. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Divide the dough in half and each half into 8 or 9 even pieces. I got about 18 4-in wrappers out of the dough. Roll each piece out into about a 4in wrapper. Plop about a mounded tablespoon of filling in the center. Fold and seal the crescent, and crimp the edges with a fork (I skipped this) or crimp it in a decorative way (couldn't figure out how to do this).

Brush each empanada with some beaten egg and poke some holes on top for the steam to escape. Bake at 375ºF for about 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oolala, empanadas looks yummy !:) I got some leftover cooked beef in the freezer, perhaps I could do this..gosh, I gotta do my grocery shopping tomorrow, I'm out of so many things :(

Bettina said...

mmm, yummy. hmm, you could ask my mom how she does it...when she makes certain bao zi she can do the crimping thing. so the empanadas i had (three kinds!! spinach, beef, and chicken), they put like egg, olives, tofu maybe? in them. well like tofu and olive with the beef and chicken had the egg and some other stuff. it was really interesting, and really good. hehe. that's so cool that you made your own! and it's really fun to say empanada! hehe.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

AWWW! I would have taken those pancakes too. But I am touched by your sentiment and these truly look awesome!

Cheryl said...

Never had an empanada. But now I am seriously craving one.

Anh said...

These are great for party and sharing. I'd love to try your recipe. :D

Anonymous said...

Just like the Asian chicken curry puffs...just that pork is used here instead. Yumz.

Helene said...

You are right, baking powder or vinegar helps the crust stay light and cripsy.
These truly look delicious. I love Picadillo so I can only imagine how good it must be in a little pocket like this one!

Amy said...

MW,
Oh yeah these would be great for that leftover beef you have. Mmm that beef looked so good.

Bettina,
I can pleat bao zi just fine but I think these are different.

Meeta,
I will post the pancakes for you as soon as I finish tweaking the recipe. :)

Cheryl,
This is my first time making empanadas, but with a combination like meat and pastry crust how can you go wrong. :D

Anh,
I was also inspired by your taste of yellow polenta empanadas. They looked scrumptious.

Tigerfish,
Oh I love those curry puffs too. Yummy.

Helen,
Glad to know I was on the right track. :D

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

These look so incredible, I can't wait to try them!

Amy said...

Homesick Texan,
Thanks! Let me know how you like them.

Brilynn said...

Those look fantastic! I want some with a homemade salsa for dipping.

Amy said...

Brilynn,
Oh yum homemade salsa would have been great with these!

Anonymous said...

Strangely, despite the many flavours of empanadas here in Argentina I've never seen a pork one before (well, there's ham and cheese..)

Your ones look very tasty! I made some carne suave and roquefort con queso empanadas the other day but I'll have to try your recipe next time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I'm a newcomer to your website and want to say I think it's delightful.
I love anything cooked in pastry..
especially Empanada's and Samosa's and these Empanada's look great.
As for sealing the edges, you can buy a Crimped Pastry Wheel for $5.00.. a wonderful little gadget that trims and crimps the pastry at the same time, giving it a professional, attractive edge..a perfect tool for sealing Empanada's
Looking forward to making many of your recipes.
Barbara

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin