Saturday, April 7, 2007

Nutella Brownie - Browniebabe of the Month


I’m not a big peanut butter fan but I can eat Nutella by the spoonful. My goal was to make a Nutella-esque brownie by using Nutella in the batter and topping the brownies with hazelnuts. I have to admit, I sometimes use boxed brownie mixes but I found that making them from scratch is almost as simple. The perfect brownie is dense, chewy, fudgy, and devoid of nuts but these brownies are an exception to the nut rule.

Nutella Brownies
6 tbsp butter
3 oz bittersweet chocolate
1/4 C nutella
1/2 C sugar (I used 6 Tbsp)
2 eggs
1/2 C flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C hazelnut, chopped

Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a square baking pan with 2 sheets of aluminum foil perpendicular to each other. This makes the brownies really easy to lift out. You can also grease the foil but I didn't.

Roughly chop chocolate and cut butter into small pats. Melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler or on low power in the microwave. I used the microwave at 30% power and stirred every minute; it took about 3 minutes.

Whisk in nutella, eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Add flour and mix until just incorporated (do not over mix).

Spread into baking pan and scatter chopped hazelnuts on top of the brownies. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.**

Start checking the brownies at 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies should come out with moist crumbs (if it comes out clean then the brownies have overbaked). It is better to underbake than overbake.

Notes:
*I found that the brownies did not have enough hazelnut flavor so next time I use some hazelnut liqueur, like Frangelico, or extract.
**Because I used a glass baking pan, I lowered the oven temp to 325ºF but I had to bake for almost 30 minutes.

Links:
I'm going to submit this recipe to Myriam for the Browniebabe of the Month Event.


Brownie Ice Cream Sandwich



I really thought I was on to something new by using brownies for ice cream sandwiches. But Google told me I wasn't the first only one who thought of this idea. So much for being the pioneer of a new dessert.

Cut brownies into the desired size of ice cream sandwich. Chill brownies in the freezer for 20 minutes so it is easier to slice. Slice the brownie in half horizontally. Add about 1/4 C ice cream to the bottom half of the brownie and smooth out the top and sides. Add the top half and lightly pat down the sandwich. Chill the sandwich in the freezer for another 20 min before serving.

I used coffee ice cream for the sandwich. The chocolate, hazelnut, and coffee flavors were reminescent of a hazelnut mocha.

17 comments:

Bettina said...

mmmmm, looks so yummy!!!! heheh.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about chocolate brownies, then I saw your nutella brownies :D
Suppertime now, hungry...:O

Amy said...

Hi Bettina,
We should bake more stuff together when you come back in summer.

Hi Tigerfish,
Brownies always dissappear too quickly in my house, but I guess that just means I need to make more. :D

Patricia Scarpin said...

Amy, I'm tagging this recipe right now!

I love it that you added Nutella to the batter. The hard thing is not eating the whole jar before making the recipe. ;)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Well, truth be told, it's pb I can eat by the mouthful. And I could eat many mouthfuls of those dense, chewy brownies!

myriam said...

hi amy.
finally got some time to check out your picture. oh - my - this looks delicious! thanks for joining the browniebabe event. mmmmm. yum! this looks great!

Amy said...

Hi Patricia,
I was debating whether I wanted to add more Nutella to the batter or just eat it straight. In the end, I decided to save the Nutella for eating. It's just too good (it even smells heavenly)!

Hi Susan,
My friends and I have had many debates about the merits of PB vs Nutella. But we can all agree that chewy brownies are the best. :D

Hi Myriam,
I'll have to think of another brownie for May. One can never have too many brownies. :P

Passionate Eater said...

This is a very innovative idea! I've only eaten nutella on crackers and sandwiches, but this is a fabulous idea. And those hazelnuts look so crisp and round. Yum! I think I would eat this with hazelnut flavored coffee AND ice cream--like your great ice cream sandwich idea!

Amy said...

Hi PE,
I'm now obsessed with making Nutella desserts. I want to make a Nutella cheesecake, Nutella ice cream, etc. Mmm... coffee, ice cream, and brownies, that would be quite the breakfast. :D

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Mmm. I love Nutella. If they sold it in gallon-sized containers like they do in Europe, I'd be all over it. Just gimme a spoon and get outta my way. :)

Amy said...

WC,
It really is a tragedy that they don't sell the gallon size here. I go through Nutella so fast. I hear they sell a 2 pack of Nutella at Costco. Not sure how big the jars are but I definitely need to check it out.

Maria of Passion Fruit & Mangos said...

Oooh! I love it! Nutella, Hazelnuts- what more could a girl want in a brownie? And with coffee ice cream, delightful!

Amy said...

Maria,
Thank you!

Brilynn said...

THat brownie and ice cream sandwich is pure genius!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I love this idea. Nutella and brownies... it doesn't get much better. Unless you are adding coffee ice cream. Awesome!
I posted some ice cream sandwiches several months ago. Great minds think alike.

Amy said...

Brilynn,
Aw thanks! :)

Sandi,
I agree, ice cream sandwiches are awesome. :D

Anonymous said...

wow!
really want those, but i can't bake at all..

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin