Monday, March 26, 2007

Sticky Rice Siu Mai


There’s a potluck party at work tomorrow and I wasn’t sure what to bring. I remembered I had some siu mai wrappers tucked away in the freezer somewhere so I decided to make some sticky rice siu mai. Cantonese style siu mai (shu mai or shao mai) is filled with ground meat, like pork and shrimp, and is commonly served at dim sum. Another kind is the Shanghai style siu mai which is made with sticky rice.

Stick Rice Siu Mai
1 C glutinous rice (also called sweet rice)
1 C water
2 Chinese sausages
4 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 Tbsp dried shrimp
1 green onion
1 clove of garlic
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1/8 tsp white pepper
30 siu mai wrappers (siu mai wrappers are round like potsticker/gyoza wrappers only thinner)

Rehydrated dried shrimp and dried mushrooms in some hot water for 5 minutes.

Rinse and drain glutinous rice, add water and steam for 30 twenty minutes.

Meanwhile, finely dice Chinese sausages, mushrooms, shrimp, green onion and mince the garlic.

Heat 2 tsp of oil in a skillet or wok and stir fry the sausage, mushroom, shrimp and green onion for about 2 minutes, until the mixture is fragrant and some pieces are lightly browned. Add garlic, oyster sauce, white pepper and stir fry another few seconds. Remove from heat and stir in steamed rice and 2 tbsp water to help loosen the mixture. Let the filling cool until it is warm or room temp before making the siu mai.

To make the siu mai, form a C shape with your fingers and thumb much like if you were to hold a cup. Place the wrapper on top of your index finger and thumb. Add less than a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper. Cup the siu mai with your index and thumb forming a collar around the top of the siu mai and squeeze lightly. While holding the siu mai, use the back of a spoon to push the filling in and flatten the bottom with the bottom of your palm.

Steam for 7 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately

Yields 30 siu mai.

I hope my coworkers like them. :)

9 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oh, they're lovely. I'm sure your co-workers will be fighting each other for one. :)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Whenever I go to dim sum, I hope I'll find a pork-free version of siu mai, but I never do. Guess I will have to learn to make them myself -- thanks for this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Saw the siu mai at tastespotting and need to come by for a virtual bite :D

Passionate Eater said...

If your co-workers don't like them, then they must not have working tastebuds! Those look fantastic!

Amy said...

Hi WC,
Thanks! My coworkers liked them and someone took the leftovers home for her kids. :)

Hi Lydia,
Thanks for stopping by. The chinese sausages are made with pork so this isn't pork free I'm afraid. :( But I'm sure you can substitute something for them or omit them entirely, maybe adding more shiitake mushrooms or some tofu?

Hi Tigerfish,
I just discovered your blog and I wish I can have a bite of that pork omelette. Yum :)

Hi PE,
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I just made these over the past weekend and they turned out great! That oyster sauce really adds a new dimension to the flavor. Although, I must ask, after they steamed, there was still a bit of residual flour on the tips of the siu mai wrappers. Did you run into this problem?

Alex

Amy said...

Hi Alex,
I'm so glad you tried this! I really like using oyster sauce because of it's umami flavor and it seems saltier than soy sauce so I don't need to use as much and the finished product isn't too dark. The residual flour could be coming from the wrappers. Sometimes if a wrapper looks really floury I pat the excess off. Maybe that will help next time.

Melting Wok said...

oh my godd, I haven't had shanghai siu mais in a while now, it is so gooood !! How many are they left ??? :P

Amy said...

Hi Melting Wok,
Only a few were left. I was occasionally sneaking peeks at the tray to see if my coworkers were eating them, hehehe. :P

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin